- 1 Definition / Scope
- 2 Application of Robotics
- 3 Market Overview
- 4 Importance of Robotics in the Healthcare Industry
- 5 Key Metrics
- 6 Market Size and Forecast
- 7 Limitations of Robotics in Healthcare
- 8 Market Outlook
- 9 References
Definition / Scope
Wikipedia defines robotics as the branch of mechanical engineering, electrical engineering, electronic engineering and computer science that deals with the design, construction, operation, and application of robots, as well as computer systems for their control, sensory feedback, and information processing. There are three laws for robotics defined by the author Isaac Asimov. The laws are
- A robot may not injure a human being or, through inaction, allow a human being to come to harm.
- A robot must obey any orders given to it by human beings, except where such orders would conflict with the First Law.
- A robot must protect its own existence as long as such protection does not conflict with the First or Second Law.
Application of Robotics
Space and Research
Robotics has become an important platform for planetary exploration. Robots are developed for scientific experiments in space. Camera technology are implemented to capture photographs during space travel. Exploration in space is carried by robots covering massive distances in space. These robots uses solar energy to cover long distances.
Remote controlled robots are created for exploration of living creatures in the deep sea. Underwater cameras are installed in the robots to capture the underwater flora and fauna. Special sensor technology are used in the robots to detect the objects in the dark. These robots uses energy efficient technologies for transport in the underwater.
Technologies are created for integrated urban mobility which includes electric cars, collection of vehicle data and battery charge technology. Traffic control integration technologies are created to control the traffic of vehicles in the city.
Search and Rescue
Robots are developed to search victims in a disastrous situation by commuting in the complex areas where humans cannot reach. Sensor technology like radar and laser technology are used for detection of humans.
Robots are used to detect the thefts in the critical situation. This robots can move inside the affected location by the intruders and locate the position of the enemies. Different robots are created that can fly in the air or crawl in the ground for moving inside the location for traceability.
Robots are used in households to perform repetitive tasks like cleaning. This robots has great accuracy and can do the same tasks again and again without complains.
Robots are used for complex medical treatment as well as rehabilitation systems. Some robots are used for bio analysis. Operations can be conducted even if the doctor is located in other of the country.
Robots are used for moving of high tonnage of goods from one location to another. These robots are efficient and accurate. They are used in movement of cargo as well as in the manufacturing factory.
Robotics technology is used for agricultural machines to increase the performance of the agriculture and reduce the resource consumption for better ROI. These robots are used at different stages of agricultural production to increase the efficiency and productivity of work.
The above diagram shows the increase in global demand of robots.
The growth of the industrial robots was registered to be 17% from 2010- 2014. The growth of the service robots seemed to be the highest which is about 28%. It is estimated that the global sales for service robots would increase to 35 million units.
New start-up companies are entering the robotics market for the development of products catering to the needs of the industry. China, Japan, Republic of Korea, Germany and USA are the countries which has the highest demand of robotics.
Importance of Robotics in the Healthcare Industry
- The surgical robots that are used in the surgical operations are known for the precision with precise and great accuracy. The medical robot acts as a hand of the surgeon to conduct complex surgery. This robots can conducts continuous work without complain and fatigue and the outcome is expected to be 100%. This robots are the biggest revolution in several parts of the world and are growing at a faster pace in other countries.
- The laboratory robots performs multiple tests on various diseases saving manpower costs and achieving great accuracy. The main advantage of this robots are the high speed and reliability. This robots are used in complex tests like HIV, Cancer and many more which requires precise and accurate tests results.
- Rehabilitation robots are the building block for the people who are temporary/ permanently disabled. The user controls the movement of the robots for performing daily activities. It balances the disability of the patient for living a normal life. Motorised wheel chair, powered arm are some of the examples of this robots. Companies are making robots for different parts of the body.
- Robots in telesurgery have reduced the distance between the surgeon and the operations. The doctor can perform operations from any location. The surgeon performs the surgery by controlling the robot. The robot becomes the artificial surgeon conducting operations with precise accuracy. The basic of this robot is simplicity, efficiency and accuracy.
- Robots are used for move medical materials from one part of the hospital to another at high speed. This robots are used in case of emergency conditions. This robots consists of the sensors which detects the hurdles which comes in front of them while moving from source and destination.
|Base Year||2018||Researched through internet|
Market Size and Forecast
This device is used to help the old aged people to communicate with the doctors or caretaker for needs. It’s a two way calling device with wheels, monitor and camera. The care giver can control the movement of the robots at remote location serving the needs of the people at home.
This device is used to move supplies of medicine from one place to another without any distracting and at a faster pace. This device is built to fasten up the process in hospitals.
Bestic is a small robotic arm which consists of spoon that helps the patients to eat food. The movement of the spoon can be adjusted based on the requirement.
Considered as the robot nurse is controlled by the nurse at remote location. The nurse is able to move the robot and take care of the patients.
This robot is used as therapy for developmentally developed children. This robots can mimic animals for better understanding to the children. This robots collects data on the performance of the children in order to evaluate the how successful the therapy.
Robocourier is a device which is used to deliver medicines and other supplies to different parts of the hospital. This robot uses laser technology for detection of any hurdle in the pathway and reach to the desired destination at the right time.
Bots for paralyse
Robots are made to help the people with physical disability. Balancing technology is applied for this purpose.
The above diagram shows the forecast of robotics in different application. The value of healthcare seemed to be higher with lower volumes. The diagram interprets that the robots used in the healthcare industry is expensive compared to other industry applications.
Limitations of Robotics in Healthcare
Expensive to have robotics in healthcare.
Does not have his own judgement.
The robots cannot think on its own in terms of uncertain circumstances which reduces the reliability.
The robots are controlled by the surgeons, nurses and patients. They cannot perform any tasks on its own. This robots needs to be programmed or instructed to perform certain tasks.
Difficult to debug.
Debugging is the tedious job in the robotics as it is difficult to find the error in the working.
Requires a long series of logarithms to perform simple procedures.
Technology uses a long series of logarithms to program the robot for performing simple tasks. This programs act as bridge between the hardware and software.
Historically robotics were mainly used in the manufacturing segment. The efficiency and accuracy of the robotic technology have led to the expansion in the other segment of business. In the coming decade, the application of the robotics would be more for home use and the second driving industry with the industry would be healthcare industry.
- Governments and the private companies are making more investment in robotics for development in the human ecosystem.
- The next biggest revolution which all the technologist are building is the human robot which can perform tasks similar to the human.
- Robotics are moving to different industry verticals like defenses where accuracy place a vital role.
- 3D printing technology are being developed for healthcare based research as well as made-to-fit replacement materials for the body parts.
- Robots are being built for predicting the results on the new drug produced based on the data that is fed in the computer.