- 1 What software does wikiBIZpedia use?
- 2 What can I publish and/or edit on wikiBIZpedia?
- 3 How do I get started?
- 4 How do I start an Industry Report or an Expert Perspective?
- 5 How do I write or edit an Industry Report?
- 6 How do I create a Table of Content?
- 7 How do I insert references in an Industry Report?
- 8 How do I upload an image?
- 9 How do I insert a graph?
- 10 What is the format of the CSV?
What software does wikiBIZpedia use?
wikiBIZpedia is based entirely on Mediawiki. wikiBZIpedia is a collaborative website which can be directly edited by anyone with access to it. Ward Cunningham, developer of the first wiki WikiWikiWeb, originally described it as "the simplest online database that could possibly work". One of the best-known wikis is Wikipedia. - from Wikipedia.org
Mediawiki - the software behind wikiBIZpedia is a presentation and editing in one tool that requires only a web browser. It is open source and does not require knowledge of html.
There are several tools that wikiBIZpedia inherits from Mediawiki, nonetheless there are several tools that have been developed to ease use of wikiBIZpedia
- Search - probably the easiest way to find what you are looking for in a wikiBIZpedia
- History - view the evolution of a page, who made what changes when. Changes can be rolled back at any time
- Recent changes page - view the most recent changes on the entire site
- Comments - At the end of each Industry Report are a place for contributors to discuss and ask questions about the page
- User pages - as a logged in user this is your space to identify who you are.
- WYSWYG editor - you can start writing or editing immediately without knowledge of html or anyother markup language. What you see is what you get editor is user friendly and easy to use by anyone
What can I publish and/or edit on wikiBIZpedia?
There are 2 categories of content that you can publish
- Industry Reports - these are market research reports on specific markets/industries. These reports cover market trends, dynamics, financial information, competitive landscape etc (please see the full list here). Industry reports are editable by anyone. These reports attract content sponsorship from companies who may find your reports valuable to them. Revenues from content sponsorship flows back to wikiBIZpedia, authors and top editors in pre determined proportions
- Expert Perspectives - these are your perspectives and commentary on business issues, trends, markets, current happenings, essentially written in a blog style format. Expert Perspectives are non editable by peers, and they do not attract content sponsorship, Expert Perspectives however are a great tool to build your reputational capital and establish yourself as a thought leader on your subject within global community
How do I get started?
There are many ways to contribute to wikiBIZpedia from writing an opinion to a full industry report. Check out the Contributor Center for more information. You can also simply click on the 'edit' tab and revise an industry report as you see fit. Please log in to write, edit and receive credit for your contributions.
How do I start an Industry Report or an Expert Perspective?
To start writing on wikiBIZpedia, please make sure you are logged in. Upon sign in please follow the below steps to start your Industry report or Expert Perspective
- Click "Start a Report" link at the top of the page
- Select whether you want to start an "Industry Report" or an "Expert Perspective"
- Write the title of the page you want to create
- Click "Create Page"
How do I write or edit an Industry Report?
- To write or edit on wikiBIZpedia please make sure you are logged in
- Click on "Edit" link on the top of the Industry Report
- The Industry Report will then open in a WYSWYG Visual editor
- Once you are done with writing or editing, please click Save to Publish
How do I create a Table of Content?
A page can be divided into sections, using the WYSWYG editor. For each page with more than three headings, a table of contents (TOC) is automatically generated from the section headings
How do I insert references in an Industry Report?
It is a best practice to insert footnotes and references on your Industry Reports.
At the point of citation in the main text, go to "insert->Reference" on the WYSWYG editor. A new window will pop up where you can enter the citation. You can hyperlink the citation here too using the hyperlink button on the pop up window. Once you are done, click "insert reference" at the bottom right corner of this window.
To cite the same reference or footnote several times, identify it using the "use this group" on the pop up window and give it an identifier name. At one of the citation points (it makes sense to choose the first), enter the identifier name. Then, at all the other citation points just select the identifier name on the pop up window
Producing the reference or footnote list
At the point where you want the text of the footnotes or references to appear (usually at the end of the Industry Report in a "Notes" or "References" section), on the WYSWYG editor click "insert->References List"
How do I upload an image?
You can upload image files to be displayed on any Industry Report. Most image formats are acceptable including .jpg, .png, .gif etc. To insert an image, on the WYSWYG editor please click "insert->Media". A window will pop up. You can either search for any previously uploaded image file by its name or upload a new image using the "upload" button.
Once an image is uploaded, you can alter its display size, border, hyperlink and alt tag by selecting the image and clicking on the "option" button that appears on the corner of the image
How do I insert a graph?
To insert a responsive graph, you may first have to upload a comma separated (csv) file with a .csv extension. A comma separated file is easily created using Excel and saving the file as a CSV file.
Once your CSV file is ready, on the WYSWYG editor please click "insert->Insert CSV Chart". You can either search for any previously uploaded CSV file by its name or upload a new file using the "upload" button.
Select the file once it is uploaded on the pop up window and a chart window will appear. You can select between the options of a Pie Chart and a Bar Chart. Once you are satisfied with your chart, click "insert chart".
What is the format of the CSV?
Format of the CSV is as below
- Row one is the title row, please insert your column titles here
- Use any many rows and columns as needed
- When inserting numbers, please do not insert any text (for example: USD) or symbols (for example: $, % etc)
Please see an example as below:
|Category||2013 Units (000)||2013 Sales (Pound Mil)|